What is going on? I’ll tell you. It is a moral paradigm shift. That is what! We can’t rely upon our tried and true methods for logical conversation or determining meaning. Sometimes I feel like I am dog paddling through this world, always on guard for the next loony thing that is going to happen. Nothing amazes me.
Let me back up a bit. I felt this shift a while ago. It was a moral uncovering where there was some sort of rip in the fabric of our collective conscious. What poured out of that tear was like Pandora’s Box letting out its buzz of filth and disease. Today, a Facebook liberal ally Mike Kear posted:
A word to those of you who possess some level of prophetic or empathic ability. You are not crazy. I know you can feel it. So can I. Something is wrong. There is something like a tear in the fabric of reality. Darkness has been pouring through that tear. You may feel like you’re going crazy. You are not. I assure you, what you’re feeling is real. I cannot explain what’s happening yet, but a gigantic paradigm shift is taking place right now. What was insane a year ago is now mainstream. Evil is good, down is up, darkness is light. I could give you dozens of examples, but you don’t need them. There is a pro-death movement afoot. Madmen are gaining incredible power. Voices are beginning to be silenced, and we also feel the resistance from our friends and families to our words of warning.
The nature of deception is that the deceived do not know they are deceived. And yet, we empathically, prophetically know that something is very wrong. We cannot but speak in words of warning. We cannot sit down and shut up. We must continue to hope that the tide can be turned. We must stand firm in the midst of a river of people being swept to destruction and do all we can to awaken the sleeping and speak truth to the deceived and the deceivers.
So…we know things are different and we can’t make heads or tails of what is going on….for that, you will need to read about the moral uncovering in Part 1 in this series. Click here. Next we all feel stymied. Things are topsy turvy. Are there concrete things we can do to make it better? How can we deal with the moral divide? For that info, reference part 2. Click here. This installment is all about the mental mind games that are going on with this moral paradigm shift that make us feel like we are going crazy and that nothing makes sense. Let me assist you and make sense of it all. That way you can move your thinking from your frontal lobe to the center of your brain and become the observer. You will be a chess master because you will see through this morass of murk.
Here is your Moral Paradigm Shift road map
Point A ~ Doublethink: This word is from George Orwell’s book 1984. I read this book in high school and it seemed so far away from my reality. Today, it is so close. Let me define this term for you from the book
- “To know and not to know, to be conscious of complete truthfulness while telling carefully constructed lies, to hold simultaneously two opinions which cancelled out, knowing them to be contradictory and believing in both of them, to use logic against logic, to repudiate morality while laying claim to it, to believe that democracy was impossible and that the Party was the guardian of democracy, to forget whatever it was necessary to forget, then to draw it back into memory again at the moment when it was needed, and then promptly to forget it again, and above all, to apply the same process to the process itself – that was the ultimate subtlety: consciously to induce unconsciousness, and then, once again, to become unconscious of the act of hypnosis you had just performed. Even to understand the word ‘doublethink’ involved the use of doublethink.” (Orwell, 1984)
Doublethink takes you a way down the moral paradigm shift path. Some concrete examples of this from right now are the co-opting of words like “elite”, “fake news”, and “crooked” “rigged system”. Another part of this is in our houses of worship. To be able to contemporaneously hold a belief in a figure like The Christ and vote for a man as vulgar, greedy, and mean spirited as this man requires doublethink at it’s finest. Or, how about how many, many people voted for him to repeal Obamacare, not realizing they were on Obamacare, they just called it the ACA. Or, this one. That poor people all over our country wanted a person that would speak and act for them. They wanted a person that was in touch with their needs. Who best? A billionaire who has stiffed people just like them, declaring bankruptcy as he goes. You have to be able to be able to hold two different contradictory thoughts in your head at once. There are a TON of these.
Doesn’t it ease your mind to put a name to this?
Imagine the little Alpine guy from Price is Right moving across a map to the next point…include the music…heck, forget your silly imagination, here it is
Point B ~ Logical Fallacies Run Amok – Maybe you have been in this course in college you had to take to graduate. It was usually listed as a philosophy class, at least mine was at UCI. It is a class about Ethics and Logic. You run through all the possible logical fallacies. Tedious doesn’t begin to describe them. Then, you take this test where you have 50 arguments presented. You have to match the logical fallacy with the argument. It gives me heart palpitations to think of it. I will probably have nightmares tonight about waking up, looking at the alarm, and realizing that my Ethics and Logic final is 1/2 over.
- False Equivalencies – First let me define a false equivalency. A false equivalency is one in which two argument are pitted against each other. They seem to be logically equivalent, but they are not. The biggest false equivalency I have dealt with lately is that somehow Hillary’s emails and her “role” in Benghazi are equivalent to the racism, bigotry, hatred, misogyny, and xenophobia pouring out of Trumpland. For a longer argument on this, see Part 1.
- Appeal to the Stone – This is when your argument is labeled stupid or not having value without showing how or why your argument doesn’t make sense. This happened when your friends called Meryl Streep a fool. This happens in the Tweet storm Du Jour.
- Red Herring – This is any argument that a person makes in response to your argument that diverts the attention away from the original question. This happens every time you want to discuss how a person, especially an outspoken Christian, can stand with a man who is so gross in so many immoral ways. Immediately, the next sentence out of their mouth is a red herring and we are talking about Hillary.
- A million others – There is a list a mile long here.
Once you can see the logic flaws running rampant, there is some semblance of at least being able to comprehend what is going on. Sometimes the things coming out of Kellyanne Conway’s mouth are so crazy that I feel almost aflutter inside. The reason for that is because they do not make logical sense. They just keep repeating these crazy things.
Point C ~ Propaganda Machine – Propaganda is powerful. It can be dangerous if used viciously like it is today. We, along with every other human, can easily fall prey to the lure of propaganda because it is designed to appeal with knee jerk success. It is usually an appeal to jump on the bandwagon to scapegoat a minority. It gives us an easy answer to our problems without validation. The propaganda machine has walked the path of doublethink and logical flaws. These are its tools. When we look at the propaganda as a whole or with a larger perspective, we can get a sense of tactics and strategy.
I like giving examples, so here are a couple of larger propaganda machines the Trump Machine uses.
- The Name Game: Donald likes to name call and he assigns nicknames to people that reverberate through our world like gossip in a girl’s bathroom. “Crooked Hillary” “Pocahontas” They are used to dismantle and delegitimize. When you see this happening next time, you will know immediately what is going on.
- Twitter-in-chief: I have been thinking about this a lot because although this is a tactic used like a chronic red herring…before we explore it, I have to say that this is also an Achilles heel. As I observe him with an observer’s eye, it seems he is not in perfect control of his train wreck tweet storms. Put a pin in this point to return to when you are sitting around your small action group devising how to act against this monster. Maybe it can be used to his demise. Yet, I also believe it is being used to direct you where he wants you led. When a Twitter storm erupts, keep your eyes open and look at what you are being diverted away from
Point D ~ Suspension of Disbelief: Those of us who refused to vote for Trump are absolutely blown away. When he tweeted “I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose voters,” we thought he was full of pride. Now we know better. This may be the folly we will feel the hardest because the ability to suspend disbelief doesn’t just go away. It is a skillset that is hard to overcome. So what of this suspension of disbelief? Well, he really appealed to a certain subset of the population.
In a Pew Research Study looking at how people voted by religion, it found that, 81% of born again evangelical Christians voted for Donald Trump. 61% of Mormons voted for Trump (for sure it would have been higher had not been for Evan McMullin…a Mormon himself), 60% of white Catholics voted for him, 58% of Protestants and other Christian denominations voted for him. There were two notable exceptions outside the “other” category, I assume consists of Buddhists, Muslims, Hindus. These two were…Hispanic Catholics. Only 26% voted for Trump and Jews. My alma mater (I was born a Jew, my parents became Mormon when I was 9 FYI). I am so proud, even with the Israel issues. Only 24% of Jews voted for him.
I know what suspension of disbelief requires. I don’t want to destroy anyone’s religion but I think there is a direct relationship to the amount of suspension of disbelief required to attend that church and voting for Trump. It is a well traveled channel in their brain. Our church euphemistically calls it “checking your brain at the door.” If you are used to checking your brain in at the door, it translates easily. Trump used this to his advantage and is manipulating this channel. They have all suspended disbelief about a man that makes them the worst sort of hypocrite, morally.
Point E ~ History Repeats Itself: You see how every little part of the puzzle builds on itself and illuminates, not only the situation of the Moral Paradigm Shift but shows places for resistance and assistance. The reason why is that with all this viciousness and blindness, it is easy to not see the whole picture, even when people say that what is going on in our country looks a lot like the precursor to other tyrants we have known in the past. We actually have eyewitnesses of these dictators that are watching America and are genuinely afraid. This, may also give the reason for the low Jewish voter turnout for DT. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck…It is very likely that it is a duck. Well, we smell filth. This filth is combined with a people who are ripe for this….filled with self-righteous vitriol and completely in a state of suspension of disbelief. I will say, the worst isn’t at our doorstep yet, but to ignore how bad this could get in light of history is to be as myopic as those that voted for him.
Point F ~ Look for the light: Remember, after Pandora opened the box and all the disease and disaster and hurt flooded into the world, she looked down and in the bottom Zeus had put hope. We are in the upside down. It is misty and hard to see. All the evils of the world are pouring through a tear in our world. There will be people along the path who have the gift of light. Wherever darkness is, they will go to illuminate and show the way. Lies and dishonesty cannot abide around them because the light burns out all blackness. Some people can’t tolerate that much burning sunshine. It can be difficult to handle, no doubt. However, if we don’t cling to those who can see the path clearly we are wandering around in the haze, lost.
We empaths, like my friend Mike from the beginning, could feel this coming. Although, the entire time I pointed to Michael Moore’s admonition that Donald Trump was going to win, I could hardly believe so many of our country had succumbed to this madness. My intention for this year is to Let my Light Shine. It is a weighty task. I want to use this blog to shine a light for us all. We can stop wringing our hands and get prepared. We have a hard road ahead. Cling fast to what you know to be true. Cling fast to science. Cling fast to compassion. Cling fast to love. Cling fast to the light.