I just read an article from the left. Calling on us, as a group, to have empathy for the poor racist, bigoted, misogynist RNC folks. Obviously, not only was I unmoved, but it was a real turn off. Let me begin by saying…
The problem with the Dems is not their empathy, it is their backbone!
We are always trying so hard to see other people’s point of view that we often get run over roughshod. It is like that famous newsroom opening. Here it is, in case you haven’t seen it.
The problem with the Dems is that we don’t win. We have no spine. We have all these great ideals and then cannot defend any of them or effectuate any of them because we are so darn busy empathizing with everyone. We wouldn’t want to step on feet or make anyone upset. We are milk toast. We are soft. But please…please do not give this group a call to more empathy. We have empathy shooting out of every orifice of our bodies. Our ass is raw with empathy. It just paralyzes us and makes us weaker. We need Luther!
You see, it wasn’t the Dems in congress that signed the agreement to have NO BIPARTISAN involvement. We have always had a desire to hold hands across the aisle. Nothing would make us more giddy than for us all to Kumbaya whilst casting flowers on the lucky constituents because we finally can get something done. Dems are willing to give a little. We know that you don’t ever get everything you want. We know that compromise is key in any agreement. THIS IS THEIR PROBLEM, IT IS NOT US!!!
The crux of the matter is this:
This time it is personal…and really something uglier than normal politics!
If we stay silent and empathetic and ready to always stick out our hand in welcome, we are lost. Our extended hand has already been chopped off and we refuse to acknowledge it.
- the agreement signed by the right that, literally, forces their intransigence.
- their incessant desire to hold hearings and indict every single dem for every ill they perceive and not once realize that their party is 10 trillion times worse and doing way way way uglier things. Spend millions on hearings and totally ignore that your side is screaming about money. Rich.
- the absolute refusal to follow the constitution and hold hearings on a new supreme court justice while screaming about the left wanting to take away your second amendment rights. Go buy another tricorn hat.
- the abandonment of all forms of classic logic and the suspension of disbelief for a set of outrageous lies.
- the double speak and gaslighting everytime you turn around…from the notion of “make america great again” to getting outraged by a Dem finally having had it with the racism and calling a person out on it.
Ok..that is just a smidgen of the shenanigans they have been up to..
We…the liberals….have been, doing what? Well…taking it.
We go along with all their hearings and ranting and screaming and lies and never ask for a reckoning. We allow “fact free” descriptions of what is going on and we never refute…until now…and now, it is personal.
It is hard for it not to be with Trump. I used to be the sole screaming voice that the “personal is political” (Carol Hanisch) and vice versa but no one was listening….until now.
Now, we cannot afford the luxury of unfettered empathy That was for another time. We have to take a look at the larger picture before getting so enmeshed. The larger picture is that there are people in this world getting hurt. There are people in this world that are really really going to suffer if Trump gets into power. Whether they will suffer at his (tiny) hands, or at the hands of the congressmen acting under the new and improved Republican platform, or whether Pence’s nastiness will wash over the country like a plague, these policies hurt individuals. They hurt my family. They also hurt yours. They hurt you if you are a woman, or part of the LGBT community, or a Mexican, or black…or live around the border. Has anyone in San Diego considered the visual impact of an enormous wall outside our windows? Or, the ramifications of millions of immigrants in ghettos waiting for their day in court? Where are they going to house them? In San Diego county? Where? Our jails are already overcrowded. Are we getting ready to build some sort of encampment? where? Campo?
By contrast, there is nothing the Dems…or democratic socialists if you will….want to do that would hurt people. That is the whole deal. We don’t want people to hurt. We don’t want anyone to hurt. We don’t want babies to go hungry, regardless of why or who their mom is or whether their mom is on drugs or not. Who cares, the baby is still crying and hungry. God loves that baby…and that mom, for that matter, whether she is illegal or drug addled or worse. We love immigrants. We know we depend upon them in ways we understand and so many we don’t. We love all the “others” in our society. We know that it makes us great to have diversity. We want everyone to do better. We believe in science and don’t want our air and our oceans to be a sewage dump. We want everyone to be healthy and we KNOW WE CAN. We are such a wealthy country. There is no reason, whatsoever, that we should face these choices.
Back 8 years ago, back before our president was so offensive to y’all bigots. (and let me just pause and say he is a president with no controversy, whatsoever. He is a great family man whose wife and children were the pinnacle of grace and beauty) We could say that we all want those things. The difference is in application. How do we do it? Today…things are different. Today, it is personal. Today the other side has abandoned the very notions of democracy for a doctrine of hate, bigotry, and misogyny. The best quote I have heard about the New Republican Reich (NRR) is, “Not all Republicans are racist…but, if you are a Republican, you have to be OK with racism.” Harsh….Correct…..and personal.
The bottom line is that if you are part of the NRR, you are voting for things that will hurt my family in particular. You are voting to hurt a lot of classes.
- You are voting against free public college
- You are voting against easing of our student loan debt
- You are voting to repeal gay marriage
- You are voting against LGBT being a protected class
- You are voting to disallow members of the LGBT community to adopt children
- You are voting to defund planned parenthood (I have never had an abortion but have received the best OB/GYN care ever there)
- You are voting to defund WIC….ummm formula for poor moms, really. I used this until my daughter was 6. This is just punitive and mean.
- You are voting to end obamacare. That means I dont get healthcare due to pre existing conditions. It means that there is no mental health care. It means that my best friend’s baby who requires extensive ongoing care will get the shaft. She isn’t wealthy. How would she ever pay for it?
- You are voting against equal pay for equal work
- You are voting against paid maternity leave
- You are voting to make San Diego a freaking NIGHTMARE. Do you really think this whole deportation force BS is going to leave the border cities intact?….good one.
- You are voting for a monster who says cruel things about women and every other scapegoat group.
- You are voting to have prices for every good and service that we rely upon slave labor to subsidize to SKYROCKET. Restaurants (bus staff, line cooks, janitors), hotels (banquet staff, hospitality, cleaning), food industry (vegetables, meat butchering and packing, mass food packaging).
That is just the tip of the personal iceberg. I invite you all to chime in. This season is not about ideas. It is not about two parties where one is interchangeable with the other.
It is about continuing the U.S.A. or deciding…nah…we want a tire fire. We want the NRR, The New Republican Reich!